Why Do I Need A Whole-Home Dehumidifier?
A whole-home dehumidifier will provide lots of advantages:
1. Energy savings. GTA summers are not just hot; they’re also humid. When that humidity rises, you feel hotter. Your air conditioner will deal with some, but not all, of the excess humidity. Plus, it’s expensive to run. Install a whole-home dehumidifier, and you’ll feel cool and comfortable at a higher AC setting. As a result, you’ll save electricity and money.
2. Better health for you. High indoor humidity provides the perfect breeding ground for dust mites, mould, and mildew. Breathing in these organisms is not healthy for anybody, but it’s especially dangerous for Ontarians who suffer from respiratory allergies and asthma. Whole-home dehumidifiers help solve the problem at its source.
3. A healthier home, too. It’s not just the humans who’ll benefit from whole house Your house will, as well. Lowered humidity levels clear up dank musty-smelling air. They also keep wood from warping or rotting, paint from peeling, insulation from being damaged, and condensation from forming on window panes in winter.
Whole-Home Dehumidifier vs. Portable Dehumidifiers
Cost-effective. Portable dehumidifiers often seem attractive because of their relatively low purchase and installation price. In the long run, though, whole-home dehumidifiers tend to pay for themselves due to their extended lifespan and affordable cost to run.
Discreet and low-maintenance. Other advantages of a whole-home dehumidifier are that it will be quieter and more discreet (tucked away in your basement), as well as lower maintenance. With portable dehumidifiers, you’ll have to manually pull out and empty the collection tank every day or two. Whole-home dehumidifiers usually just require an annual filter cleaning.
Efficient. A whole-home dehumidifier will adjust humidity levels throughout your house, while a portable dehumidifier can only work in 1-2 rooms.
When you look at the big picture, whole-home dehumidifiers come out as a much better option than portables in all ways, but one: you can’t take them along when you move. However, if you plan to stay in your current home long-term, this will be a non-issue.
Advantages of Whole House Dehumidifiers:
Ability to automatically control humidity throughout your entire home
Located out of sight and has a lower sound level
Up to 4 times more energy efficient than room dehumidifiers
Most have better air filters than room dehumidifiers
They are often steel units (more durable) with better warranties than room dehumidifiers
Disadvantages of Whole House Dehumidifiers:
* More expensive on initial purchase versus a room dehumidifier
* Can be more complicated to setup and install, often requiring professional installation
* More difficult to take with you if you move
* Larger and heavier than a room dehumidifier
Whole-home dehumidifiers are a great investment for your home. Not only do they protect your furniture and other belongings from the damaging effects of humidity, but they also help improve your indoor air quality. If you’re not sure whether a whole-home dehumidifier is right for you, our team can help. We offer a variety of portable and whole-home dehumidifiers to choose from, so you can find the perfect one for your needs. Give us a call today to learn more about our products or to schedule a free consultation with one of our experts!